NIL Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Tanya

September 13, 2021 at 7:46 PM

With the boom in Information Technology, there has been a debate that the art and music subjects should be removed from the syllabus and instead the computer subject should be given more weightage. But should this be done at the cost of removing art and music subjects? I disagree with the statement and will support my view with the help of the following paragraphs.

Firstly, if we take an example of today’s situation, we see that the Information Technology sector, what we commonly say IT sector, is one of the rapidly rising sectors and hence it will be no wrong to say that the schools should focus more on these subjects. But the subjects like art and music give insight into the country’s culture. If the cultural subjects are discarded, a person, for instance, may not be aware of what types of genres are being played in his/her country. Also, some of the talents will remain hidden when no art and music competition will take place in schools.

Secondly, there are many people who actually look at themselves as an artist or a musician in their future and cutting out these subjects will results in losing their interest in schools. Not only this, if attempts are made to exclude these subjects from the syllabus, students will be forced to focus on other areas that are in the curriculum which may not interest them and as a result, they may end up not going to school. Also, for some, these subjects are the form of escapism from studies as for instance, schools often organise art competitions to lighten the exams pressure on students.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that the music and art subjects should also be given equal weightage as the other subjects in every school and it should be the choice of a student to opt for the subject he/she is interested in.

We are here to help

Conversational Form (#3)