NIL Community

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• kartik

December 13, 2021 at 5:00 PM

It can be argued that children perform better at school ,when they are rewarded. Studies have shown that values inculcated in school, has a direct impact on a pupil’s mental well-being. I am a firm believer that recognition leads to an alleviation in child performance.

We have often seen that most students today, have an aimless approach to life. When they are rewarded ,it creates a feeling of achievement and entitlement, keeping them ready for the challenges that they might have to encounter in life. On the contrary, Harsh punishments has a ripple effect on a student’s development, leading to lack of confidence and self-belief. It is imperative that when students make mistakes, they are catered with constructive feedback. This may not lead to an immediate impact ,but cumulatively, causes an alleviation in their performance, academically and in extra curricular activities. I can recall my own scenario when I was recognised for winning the school Tennis championship. This accolade, ultimately boosted not only instilled my self-belief ,but also uplifted my self -esteem.

With Mental health illnesses now being more prevalent than ever, the need to commend and recognise achievements is more than before. Thus, It would not be wrong to advocate the abolishment of punishment in any form for children.

To conclude , punishments can seem a convenient way to induce discipline in a pupil ,however the ill-effects can be destructive in their growth. In my opinion, it is necessary that all educational institutes should adapt a reward-based learning approac.

We are here to help

Conversational Form (#3)